Outline of Graduate Program
(now called ``Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences;
formerly called ``Astro-Geophysics Department'')
1. Graduate Courses Completed:
- Internal Processes in Gasses; Prof. Richard McCray
- Mathematical Methods; Prof. Juri Toomre
- Galaxies & Cosmology; Prof. Michael Shull
- Radiative Transfer; Prof. David Hummer
- Stellar Interiors; Prof. Carl Hansen
- Observational Astronomy; Prof. Bruce Bohannon
- Reading & Research; Prof. Mitch Begelman
- Fluid Dynamics; Prof. John Hart
- High Energy Astrophysics; Prof. Michael Shull
- Quantum Mechanics; Prof. Neal Ashby
- Intr. Magnetospheric Physics; Prof. Theodore Speiser
- Planetary Surfaces; Prof. Bruce Jakosky
- Reading & Research; Prof. Jeffrey Linsky
- Adv. Magnetospheric Physics; Prof. Theodore Speiser
- Stellar Atmospheres; Prof. Thomas Ayres
- Doctor's Thesis; Prof. Jeffrey Linsky
2. Also completed as a requirement of degree program:
- Preliminary Exam (Jan 83) demonstrating mastery of
- Teaching Assistant (AY 82/83) for the astronomy laboratory courses at
- Research Assitant (AY 83/84) at the NOAA Space Environment Laboratory.
- Comprehensive Exam (Jan 84) covering all relevent aspects of
physics, including astrophysics, atmospheric physics, radiative
transfer, plasma physics, and fluid dynamics.
- Research Assistant (Summer 83, Jun 84-Aug 87) at the Joint
Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics.
- Ph.D. Thesis entitled Spectral Images and
Multi-Component Models of the Chromospheres of AR Lacertae. I
defended my thesis on 23 July 1987, and my Ph.D. was officially awarded
on 15 August 1987. Prof. Adj. Jeffrey L. Linsky served as my
3. Extra-Curricular Activities:
- Graduate Student Representative, APAS Dept. (1983-1985); served on
external review team for CU's Physics Department in 1986.
- Individual and small-group tutor in math, physics, and astronomy
from 1982 to 1987 (through the CU Housing Dept., the CU Athletics
Dept., and the CU special programs office).
- Intramural and departmental softball, basketball, and soccer
- Boulder County Democtratic Central Committee. Regional
Coordinator for 6 to 10 precincts in south Boulder; especially active
during the 1984 and 1986 elections. Delegate to Boulder County
- Counselor, Iowa American Legion Boy's State (1978-1986).
- Outdoor activites: hiking, camping, skiing, bicycling.
- Extensive reading in history and political science.
James E. Neff,