Outline of Undergraduate Program
1. Physics and Astronomy Courses (double major):
- Intro Physics I ; Prof. Gurnett
- Intro Physics II ; Prof. Gurnett
- Intro Physics III ; Prof. Carpenter
- General Astronomy I ; Prof. VanAllen
- General Astronomy II ; Prof. Mutel
- Undergraduate Seminar ; Prof. Shapiro
- Intermediate Mechanics ; Prof. Payne
- Intro Quantum Mechanics ; Prof. McCliment
- Optics ; Prof. Frank
- Statistical Physics ; Prof. Schweizer
- Astrophysics I ; Prof. Neff (no relation)
- Astrophysics II ; Prof. Neff (no relation)
- Radio Astronomy ; Prof. Mutel
- Intermediate Lab ; Prof. Carpenter
- Astronomical Lab ; Prof. Neff (no relation)
- Electricity & Magnetism I ; Prof. Gurnett
- Electricity & Magnetism II ; Prof. Gurnett
- Atomic Physics ; Prof. Riazzudin
- Plasma Physics ; Prof. Gurnett
- Advanced Lab ; Prof. Carpenter
2. Mathematics Courses:
- Calculus I ; Prof. Atkinson
- Calculus II; Linear Algebra ; Prof. Cac
- Engineering Calculus III ; Prof. Ton-That
- Differential Equations ; Prof. Johnson
- Computer Lab/Linear Algebra ; Prof.
- Numerical Analysis ; Prof. Atkinson
3. Political Science Courses (minor);
- Intro to Politics I
- Intro to Politics II
- The Cold War
- American Political System
- Legislative Processes
4. Other Courses:
24 semester-hours of core coursework in Literature (Interpretive
Literature, Biblical and Classical Literature), Social Science
(Problems in Human History, Civilizations of Asia), and
Natural Science (CLEP credit), 4 semester-hours of Rhetoric by course
and exam, 8 semester-hours of foreign language (German), and 4
semester-hours of Physical Education by coursework and exam.
5. Professional Employment:
- Laboratory Technician, Space Physics Computing Center, sophmore
through senior years.
- Observing Assistant at the University of Iowa Observatory during
my junior year.
- Tutor in Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Astronomy for the Athletic
Dept. during my senior year.
- Teaching Assistant for undergraduate physics labs during my senior
6. Extra-Curricular Activities:
- Intercollegiate football (just a kicker). Last year of Coach Bob
Cummings and first year of Coach Hayden Fry's tenure.
- Intramural and departmental softball, football, and basketball
- Studied the role of the University of Iowa in the history of space
physics and the US space program.
- Delegate to the Iowa Democratic Convention (1980); Liaison Officer
to State Central Committee, Iowa Democratic Youth Caucus (1980-1982).
- Counselor, Iowa American Legion Boy's State, (1978-1986).
James E. Neff,